Friday, January 6, 2017

First Chemo

Here is the set up for my infusions...

A semi private room with a  recliner, pillow and hot blankets on hand,  a place for a visitor to sit and a tv with cable :)

My first infusion went well (I don't really know any different). The staff were kind, attentive and very much patient focused. It was a long time to be seated (over 4 hours start to finish) and lots to learn but I have plenty of time.



A few lessons I have learned already.
  1. Cancer is a life-altering diagnosis. Regardless of the stage of my cancer, the number of treatments or success rates. Cancer sucks.
  2. I have heard often that I am strong, but the flip side to this is that on days when I feel un-strong (when getting out of bed seems like the greatest mountain to climb), being told I am strong makes me feel like a failure.  I feel like I am doing it all wrong if I am having a bad day (especially when its so early in the journey and I know even tougher days are ahead). 
  3. When people ask if there is anything (generic) they can do... this gives me the homework of figuring out what they can do to help, then the burden of having to ask if they can.
  4. Don't wear jeans (even if they do match your button shirt- they are not comfortable).
  5. Get a different button shirt (or a hoodie that can access my port). 
  6. Layers are not always a girls best friend. 
  7. Communication is difficult, if even possible, on infusion da. All of my energy is needed to receive the treatment.
  8. I am dearly and deeply loved both near and far.
I also learned that one of the reasons I feel so at ease with my doctor is that he reminds me of someone.

Many people do not remember the show Perfect Strangers (not sure I actually remember what it was really about), but it was a show I remember watching with my sister growing up.


In the show, Larry (left) finds himself roommates with Balki.

My dear hematologist Dr Azar (not pictured) reminds me of the actor that played Balki.
Balki was kind and patient and quick to care for others and that is how I have felt since I met Dr. Azar several weeks ago.

And I guess right now, in the midst of the uncertainty. In the midst of all the unknown or whats ahead a bit of kindness goes a long way.