Thursday, January 19, 2017

2nd Chemo

2 done- 10 to go.

I am so blessed that my fears were unfounded and the second chemo went better then the first. It is still a very steep learning curve and easily becomes overwhelming to take in all the information. The four plus hours is physically and emotional exhausting and leaves me with limited energy.
At this point please know that no update = going as planned and we will update as soon as I am able.

Since this was the second chemo of the first cycle I did not see my doctor before my infusion.
I checked directly into the infusion center (same building but down the hall from my doctor) an shortly after check had my port accessed, line put in and blood work drawn.

Then back to the waiting room to await results of the blood work and to wait for a room to to become open for my infusion.
We waited about an hour before being taken back. (probably pretty normal although on weeks I see the doctor I believe this will not be as long or filled with other things).
It gave me (and Rob) some time to chat, make a few lists and to be a bit more prepared for the day.

This time we were given a chemo room instead of the cubby.
It had a bed and jack and jill bathroom within. While it did have a door, it was not closed so it was still fairly open.
I learned I prefer the reclining chair instead of the bed so next time that will be my request.

Another reason for the delay was regarding my blood counts.
Most stayed the same but the two numbers that fight infection and suppress my immune system were way down (12. 5 at my first infusion and 1.5  for one and 8.9 for the first and 0.2). With my given numbers they are well below there acceptable range (3.6-10.6 for the first number and 1.7-7.5 for the second one). This is not uncommon for cancer patients and particularly for lymphoma patients as my cancer is directly related to my immune system.
The blessing is that even though the numbers are low it did not stop me from receiving my treatment :)

Every treatment and doctors appointment they draw my blood and do a full work up and carefully monitor my numbers.

The lower immune numbers means being a bit more cautious about exposure to germs- lots of hand washing and avoiding sick people

From arrival until departure we were at the 4.5 hours.  A lesson in patience and accepting this new normal.

During my infusion I chatted with rob and watched HGTV (Fixer upper :)
the time pasted quickly and we were soon on our way to eat (the hardest part of chemo being at 10 is that lunch is in the middle of my infusion).

I had decided before my infusion that I wanted Pad Thai for lunch from my favorite restaurant (Bangkok Kitchen). It tasted just as good and I had hoped and although my appetite was small I was a blessing to have food to eat :)

We have a good plan in place for this week to manage my medicine and hopefully make things as smooth as possible.

Your continued prayers are felt and greatly appreciated.

May your days be filled with joyful moments.

A.