Saturday, January 21, 2017

Be Prepared

Anyone else immediate think of Scars song from Lion King.... well I did :)
I love Disney.... and quite often I can relate most thoughts and conversations to something Disney and so it is not surprising that following my 2nd chemo infusion the song "Be Prepared" from Lion King has infiltrated my thoughts and quiet moments.

Because while the infusion itself went better then I had hoped (or at least better then the first) there was much to "prepare" for....

Be prepared that nausea will be a reality for the next 7-10 days 
Be prepared that fatigue will plague your days
Be prepared that the only thing you might accomplish today is a shower 
Be prepared that the risk of germs and infections is escalated in such a way that changes must happen
Be prepared that for every symptom the meds can alleviate the side effects might be worse 
Be prepared that my hair will fall out (its a matter of when not if) 
Be prepared that no matter how much I have thought about it or planned that there will still be surprises and unexpected things
Be prepared that while I am going to conquer this disease I will also hate the fight (most days)

And as easy as it is to make the list and say the words it is quite difficult to embrace this new reality 

Because knowing it and living it are two very different things 

Nothing prepares a person to have cancer and nothing prepares the cancer patients family for the journey. 
All you can do is walk through and find the Joyful Moments