Monday, February 6, 2017

Chemo 3 Recap

This is how it started...
being chauffeured, drive thru Starbucks (Skinny Caramel Macchiato), and a sun shining day.

After valet parking the car (always an experience) I headed upstairs for blood work and another doctors appointment.

Every two infusions I will meet with my doctor to check in and see how I am doing, answer any questions and discuss any concerns.
Each time I meet with Dr. Azar I am affirmed that I with the right doctor for me and that I am in the best hands.

We agreed on a few minor adjustments to my meds and he encouraged me to be faithful and consistent in taking them as that will result in the best relief.
There were a few ah-ha moments and moments of relief that what I was feeling was typical or to be expected given my diagnosis and treatment plan.

Overall, I left reassured and ready to face chemo infusion #3.

For the first time, things were running on schedule and I was quickly settled into my infusion room (with a recliner :) and began eating my yummy Panera salad while waiting for the return of my blood work and the start of the infusion.

Overall things here went as planned. There was slow start to the infusion as return of my blood count identified a few concerns that needed doctor approval. My numbers are holding their own in all areas but the the creation of new white blood cells (absolute neutrophil). While this number significantly decreased from chemo 1-2 it dropped to 0 beginning chemo 3 thus indicating that my body is not making new white blood cells. While this can be a treatment stopper for other cancer patients, for a Hodgkins patient it just means I need doctor approval to continue with treatment (a quick phone call from the infusion department to the doctor down the hall). It does mean that I have a very high risk to contract infections and must be extremely cautious .
The delay gave me just enough time to finish my salad and it was time to begin.

The infusion took a little over 3 hours to complete and soon we were heading toward home.

It was during the drive home that something felt different.

Upon arriving home, this is what i was greeted by...

A very itchy and unexpected rash.
So instead of a nap, my afternoon was spent calling the doctor, managing the itch and a bit of worry and fear that I was having a reaction to the infusion drugs and there would need to be  a change to my treatment plan.

But a bit of Benadryl cream, a much needed nap and a reassuring follow up call with my doctor and the reaction was under control. Further investigation is under way to identify the cause of the reaction and hopefully avoiding it for the future.

The days post chemo were spent resting and taking advantage of spurts of energy and finding joyful moments to bless my days.