Saturday, December 31, 2016

Port Day

My journey continues with the recent placement of my port in anticipation for the beginning of treatment on January 3rd.


The port was placed on my right side just below the skin and will be used for all treatments, blood work and scans.
(Sadly it had to be on the right side as that is the safest and most effective place- Cooper's "Happy place" is on my right side and it was the first thing he commented on when I came home. Another adjustment for the sparkles and their Momma).

While I know that having a port will be a blessing (less poking) it has not felt like a blessing these first few days.  It has been an unanticipated struggle but a another valuable lesson has been learned.

I have realized how important it is for me to know and understand what will happen, what to expect both in the short and long term. And my long list of questions and concerns for my next appointment is evidence of it :)

I knew very little about the procedure to place my port and as a result had a few unexpected surprises (no showering- full water submersion for 7 days), liquid stitch and dissolvable stitches (very itchy) and while I was to be asleep for the procedure my definition and the surgeons was different.
Nothing life threatening or hard to deal with but enough to rock my boat and spiral me into a few days of anxiety and a huge reality check of the journey ahead.

Thankfully the port is easily hidden by my favorite shirts and when in doubt there are always scarves, the wounds will heal, and I learned a lesson that will help me in the next steps. The pain decreases each day and each day is one day closer to a regular shower :)
For all of that I am thankful and counting blessings.

Thanks for sharing the journey
May your days be blessed with joyful moments (mine are)