Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Choosing Joy

Some individuals pick a word of the year, others set a goal or a resolution, and in 2016 I did a little of both. 

I chose the phrase... Live Loved and set a goal to share that message with those I encountered. Some in tangible ways such as gifts or letters of encouragement and others a simple smile :)

While I was blessed (and hope I blessed others) by choosing to Live Loved, I learned the greater blessing of Choice.


Throughout the year I was reminded often of the CHOICE we face each day. I can choose to be negative or I can find the good. I can choose to Live Loved or I can choose to feel unloved or unwanted. In all circumstances it boils down to choice and that choice is my own. I  can't get bogged down with stinking thinking, riding the merry go round of things I can not change: my past or the actions/feelings of others, or circumstances beyond our control.

The only control I have is in how I choose to respond to life situations.

2016 was a challenging year. Along with the normal adventures of raising 3 sparkles, a traveling husband, and maintaining a home and office, I have been dealing with some health issues that eventually culminated into a diagnosis in November.

It has been a year of tests, several rounds of varying antibiotics, hospital visits, exploratory procedures, and lastly the removal and biopsy of a lymph node in my throat to reach the diagnosis.

I have been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the immune system.

I realize this will come as a shock to many, and as the shock fades, I know there will be many questions. How am I? How are the Sparkles? How is Rob?

I am peaceful with my diagnosis. I prayed that doctors would find what was wrong and that it would be treatable. God was faithful. I like my doctor and we are beginning to formulate my treatment plan; another answer to prayer.

Our Sparkles are learning to trust God in difficult situations.

Our marriage is facing the "in sickness" part of our vows.

Each day we are faced with a CHOICE...

and each day I Choose Joy... despite my illness, symptoms and the journey (fears) ahead.