Saturday, August 19, 2017

Chicago Air Show

We woke up early Saturday morning (and decided it was too early so went back to sleep) then got up a couple hours later and loaded the Littles into Albert for our first of the weekend adventures....

The Chicago Air Show

The drive was fairly smooth and we made good time into the city.
Both Rob and I had forgotten that it has been several years since the Littles were with us to visit Chicago and the awe and wonder in their voices as we drove between the skyscrapers was adorable.

We found our parking garage (pre-paid), gathered our things and headed out to load the shuttle to the waterfront.
Part of our parking packaged included a FREE shuttle to the beach. The shuttles were school buses and while some might be disappointed or unhappy with this set up, this Momma was thrilled. (yes these days I am easily amused).
My excitement came from experiencing an every day "normal" with my littles. They ride the bus every morning and afternoon to and from school. So getting to see them climb aboard, sit in their seats (watching them pick their choices) and then riding along with them gave this Momma a slice of normal that has been missing the last year. I saw the ride through Cooper's eyes (about 3 inches above the lower edge of the window :) and listened to him count the cars and trucks go by. And even nod off to sleep as we rode back after the air show.

 Lillian's constant chatter to Daddy put a smile on my face as I heard her happily chatting about this and that and everything in between.
It was a great start to our day.

The shuttle was a quick ride to waterfront where we unloaded and began the short trek to find a spot to sit.

Once the sheet was laid out, the chairs set up and a snack passed out we quickly into our roles....
Chair Lounging Momma
Cuddler Cooper
and Alternating Lillian


Daddy was in his happy place taking pictures of fast planes

While the sun was hot there was a nice breeze throughout the afternoon and we watched a few of the planes before deciding on lunch


A bit more plane watching before and afternoon ice cream snack to cool the Littles down.




The final performance of the day was the Blue Angels

Lillian and Daddy enjoyed heading closer to the water front while Cooper and I stayed behind on our spot.
The perfect view for Cooper... not too close and as quiet as we could make it for him

 Taking a sand break- he was pretty bummed most of the day that I didn't bring him shovel and bucket (next time Bubba Momma will have more time to plan and be ready).
With the Air Show complete we heading into the crowds to head back to our shuttle and our car. It was a bit longer of a wait but the time passed quickly and soon we were headed to our final destination.
Gene and Judes for hotdogs.

Anyone who knows me well knows my love of hotdogs and Gene and Jude hotdogs in particular.  Maybe its childhood nostalgia or loving whats familiar but I would always argue that I love them because they are Amazing.
I am reminded frequently by my parents (whom I ask every time they go to the city if they will bring me back a hotdog) that Gene and Judes is out of the way (out in the suburbs of Chicago) and never on the way home but with my husband I rarely have to ask... he just knows

As we drove the 30 minutes out of our way to get hotdogs he said... "it was either bring you with me or have the car smell like hotdogs for 4 hours- I would rather bring you with me :)
Oh this man loves me 😍
 The line was short by Gene and Jude standards (only one wrap around) and I soon had the deliciousness in my hand.
 Nothing tastes better then the first bite (and yes we are sitting in a McDonalds eating as there are no seats at the hotdog stand and Cooper preferred a happy meal since he didn't want his fries touching his hot dog)

With our stomachs full of hotdog yumminess we loaded Albert and headed toward home.
It was a long day but filled with memories and lots of wonderful food.

Until our next adventure.