Friday, July 13, 2012

Scrappy Quilts

Since learning to sew I have been hoping to find projects that allow me to give back to others.
Seeking to find opportunities to use the gifts and talents that I have been blessed with to bless others.

I recently was included in an AMAZING mission to help sew quilts for a school in the mountains of Tennessee.
I set the goal of sewing 3 quilts and a personal deadline of July 4th for completion (the quilts had to be completed and mailed by the 5th of September).

3 quilts in honor of our 3 children- who have never had to worry about having a warm blanket to sleep with.



 Each quilt included pieces of the kids baby clothes or other special items. It was a simple way to include a part of them in each quilt.
 Cooper's quilt includes fabric from his nursery (and from another special little one ;)
 Here are each of the kids with their honorary quilts- after the pictures we boxed up the quilts, having each kid pray over their quilt and the child that would receive it.



It was a blessing to sew these quilts and to pray for the children receiving them. It was also a wonderful opportunity to work with my children to bless others. 
Madison and Lillian were the master minds behind the block designs, selecting (and vetoing) the fabric strip combinations. They were great at helping to lay the 35 squares out for quilting.
My favorite part was sitting with the completed quilts and reminiscing with each of the kids of the special memories sewn into the quilts.
But my absolute favorite part was spending time with the kids, experiencing the power of prayer and the blessings that come from giving to others. 

Thanks Sewing Hands for inviting me to share in this mission. It was an AMAZING experience.