Saturday, November 6, 2010

13.1 Miles... what was I thinking

After 4 months of training, today was race day. The Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon.
Just 13.1 miles in 30F weather. No big deal :)

I could not have done this without my dear friend and Pace car Mel, my wonderful husband who rode the route capturing every moment of my inaugural (and last) half marathon, my beautiful daughters who came out in the cold morning on a Saturday to cheer Mommy on, and my parents for not only bringing the girls but encouraging me and making my four day a week training schedule possible.

Rounding the Corner just after Mile 1

Keeping a steady pace

Mile 2 and still going strong

So fast, we're a blur!

Mile 3- this is not so bad

Are we done yet?

Monument Circle

Coming round the bend just after Mile 3

Nana and Pa plus the girls were waiting at Mile 5 then moved to Mile 7. The girls made adorable signs to cheer me on (Go Mommy Go and Yea Mommy) and after we passed by they flipped their signs over to cheer on the other runners (Good Job Runners and Yea Runners)

 (Miles 4-8 are missing as Rob had to move the car closer to the finish line and then had to catch up on his bike)

We reached the 10K check in point in 1 hour 13 minutes and 56 seconds (an 11 minute 56 second pace)

Mile 9- Can you see our enthusiasm?

Over half way and glad to be almost finished.

Mile 10- starting to hit a wall, at this point it all started to blur together

Mile 12- just one mile to go

2 corners to the finish

The smiles are gone, its time to get serious and finish this race (still maintaining an 11 minute 58 second pace for the second half)




I placed 3305 out of 9000 participants. A division place of 347 out of 441. Not too shabby.
Hugging at the finish line. I can't believe we ran the entire course.

2 hours and 36 minutes and 46 seconds. We did it!

My metal and time!

Driving home to get the girls. Downtown is gorgeous and it was the perfect day to run.

The girls loved the signs they made.

Mommy's little cheerleaders. 

Celebrating my victory together as a family.